Sunday, September 19, 2010

My First Half-Marathon

I did it- I ran my first half-marathon this morning in Philly. What remains to be seen is will it be my last half?
I haven't been training for this race like I should have been. Ok, honestly, I haven't run more than 5 miles in quite a while. So, knowing that, I decided to take it nice and slow. I planned on walk-run intervals to help me get through the whole thing. My goal time was 2:30:00, but I just didn't quite make it. I was doing OK through the first 8 miles, but at mile 9, my legs just went dead. And then, to add insult to it all, my iPod went dead at mile 10. I was still maintaining my walk-run intervals, but at mile 11, my I couldn't run anymore. My legs hurt so bad and were just done. There were times on mile 12 I thought I would have to sit down for a little bit, but I didn't. I keep on walking and made it. I did manage to run the last 0.1 mi (through the finish line) and even got another lady to stop walking and run through the finish line, too. My final time was 2:56:something.
It was great seeing Mike and Matthew at the finish line. I went though the finisher's corral and got my food, and then staggered out to find my family.
Doing a half-marathon was a great experience- once I realized I wouldn't die! I'm not happy with my time, which leads me to think that I may do another half after I seriously train to try to better my time.

A few random thoughts-
  • I was in corral 18- that was a long walk from the starting line.
  • The way the course wound around the city, mile 4 was right back at the start line. It was very depressing waiting in the corral to start and seeing the leaders pass us... 18 minutes in, they were through 4 miles.
  • Running through Philadelphia, you encounter many smells. Some good, many sewer-like.
  • Why do people stand as a spectator of a RUNNING race and smoke a cigarette or cigar?
  • It would've been nice if someone had gone through the course on race morning and removed the dead animals from the road- I had a really close encounter with a dead raccoon.
  • ING runs a very organized race.
  • I was very glad we stayed the night before in Philly. It was nice not having to drive downtown and mess with crowds in the early morning, and it was great to be able to have Mike drive me home.


  1. Awesome Job Jen! We're all SO proud of you!!

  2. That's impressive that you went from 5 to 13! I'm stuck at 4 trying to get to 13 for Januarys Disney half.. I'm getting a little worried, but I'm hoping I figure it out over the next few months. Congrats!

  3. Don- thanks!

    DisneyBabies- You'll get there! I did a 10mi race in May, so I knew I could get that far. Of course, I had been training for that one. Just go slow and steady- push yourself a little bit and you'll be surprised once you break through that barrier.

  4. You did an FANTASTIC job, Jen, and I am so so proud of you! Can't wait to see you!

  5. I am EVER So Proud of you!!!!!! When you run your first full Me and Lea will PROMISE to be there to cheer you on the whole way!!!!! xoxoxoxox

  6. Wow! I love this blog post. That's amazing how you did this race! We are all so proud of'll whiz right thru the 5k next weekend sister!

    Congratulations on your first 1/2-mile!